Apr 16, 2009

DON'T READ THIS RIGHT NOW, you have plenty of time, seriously, wait a few more minutes and then if you get a second read it, but please don't hurry.

This blog from Pastor Steven Furtick really got me thinking. Thought I would repost it for you guys here. It's a mouthful.

Not Right Now
April 16th, 2009
Steven Furtick

I realized the other day that I use this line on my son a little too often.
“Daddy, can we please go play on my pirate ship?”
“Not right now…”
“Daddy, can I have some juice please?”
“Not right now…”
“Daddy, will you read this book to me?”
“Not right now…”

Now it’s not that I think I should jump every time my kid says jump…or oblige his every whim.
But I miss a lot of opportunities for good interaction because of my procrastination. Because “I’ll get to it later”. And usually, later never comes.

Of course, this same scenario plays out in my relationship with God. And yours.

Speak a word of encouragement to your kids…
Not right now…
Turn off the TV and spend some time in the Word…
Not right now…
Tell somebody what you’re struggling with so you can get some help…
Not right now…

It may be trite but it’s true:
Delayed obedience is disobedience.
And most of our regrets won’t be about the things we did…
But the things we didn’t do.

Steven

That was a great wake up call for me. I feel like I'm a great dad but even I sometimes put my kids off too much and I REALLy put God off too much. Guys, I confess, I don't pray enough, I wish I fasted more, and I'm not always the man that I want to be. Sometimes I trust that God will "just understand" a little too much. I need to go wayyyyyy deeper and it's not that I don't want to, it's just a problem of procrastination. I have to do better. I love you Jesus, and I'm sorry.


Jeremy Foster

The Jeremy Foster Show